Mumbai, March 7 - Eight people sustained burn injuries and around 100 huts were reduced to ashes in a major fire that engulfed a slum near Bandra station in west Mumbai, officials said Thursday.
The fire which started around 2 a. m. quickly spread to adjoining slums in the congested Shastri Nagar slum colony, catching people unawares in their sleep, according to BMC Disaster Control room.
However, local youths immediately raised an alarm and helped evacuate the people and their belongings quickly to safe spots.
As the flames spread, several gas cylinders also caught fire and started bursting, and added to the damage and losses.
Ten fire tenders rushed to the spot and finally douzed the fire by 6 a. m.. The cause of the fire is being investigated, the officials said.
Of the eight injured, five were discharged after treatment for minor burns. (IANS)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"