New Delhi, Nov 30 : Indian National Lok Dal (INLD) leader and Indian Amateur Boxing Federation chairman, Abhay Singh Chautala has been elected as the President of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA), while Lalit Bhanot has been elected as the General Secretary on Friday.
Bhanot, who was jailed along with former IOA president Suresh Kalmadi in connection with the Commonwealth Games corruption scam, was elected unopposed despite serious objections from International Olympic Committee (IOC).
The IOA polls were scheduled on December 5, but with IOC member Randhir Singh having withdrawn from the Presidential race, Chautala was elected the IOA President. Four members of the new IOA have been elected unopposed.
Virendra Nanavati has now become the Senior Vice-President while N Ramachandran has been elected as Treasurer. IOA''s acting President Vijay Kumar Malhotra had a series of meeting with senior officials in the wake of the IOC's latest threat to suspend India if the IOA followed the Government''s Sports Code for the polls.
The IOC has clearly stated that tainted officials like Kalmadi and Bhanot, who were jailed in connection with the Commonwealth Games corruption scam, can't be part of the Olympic movement. Both Chautala and Bhanot have court cases pending against them. It now remains to be seen what stand does the IOC take on this selection. (ANI)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"