Hyderabad, Jan 26 : Protests over Telangana marred the Republic Day celebrations at the office of the ruling Congress party here Saturday.
State party chief Botsa Satyanarayana, who unfurled the national flag at Gandhi Bhavan, faced the ire of some party leaders from Telangana who were upset with his opposition to a separate Telangana state.
Party vice-president Indrasena Reddy obstructed Botsa's speech and wanted to know how he can participate in such a meeting while holding the post of party's state president.
An argument ensued as Botsa defended his participation saying in a democracy he has a right to express his views.
Even as other leaders tried to pacify Indrasena Reddy, some others raised 'Jai Telangana' slogans.
Botsa Friday took part in a public meeting organised in Rajhamundry by party MP U. Arun Kumar to mark 40 years of 'Jai Andhra' movement.
The speakers at the meet strongly opposed the possible division of Andhra Pradesh.
Meanwhile, Ponnam Prabhakar, a Congress MP from Telangana, said Botsa was no longer the party chief for party leaders in Telangana.
He told reporters that he would lodge a complaint with the central leadership.(IANS)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"