New Delhi, Dec 21 : President Pranab Mukherjee conferred the presidential awards for classical Tamil to Prof. C. Govindarajanar and French national Professor Francois Gros at a function at the Rashtrapati Bhavan here on Friday.
Prof. Govindarajanar, 92, was conferred the ''Tolkappiyar Award'' for his outstanding contribution in the field of Tamil studies.
Prof. Govindarajanar is an eminent archaeologist who did field work for 17 years in the historically important region from Pumpukar to Vanci, which led to the identification of the Kannaki temple. The award carries a certificate of honour, a memento and a one-time cash prize of Rs. five lakh.
Prof. Francois Gros, a French national received the Kural Pitam Award for the year 2008-09. Prof. Gros has translated many Tamil Classics into French and was Vice President of the International Association of Tamil Research. It includes a certificate of honour, a memento and a one-time cash prize of Rs. five lakh.
Young scholar awards for year 2008-09 were also conferred on to Dr. A. Lakshmi Duttai, Dr. S. Madhavan, Dr. M. Ramakrishnan and Dr. S. Sentamizhpavai for showing excellence in Tamil studies. It includes a certificate of honour, a memento and a one-time cash award of Rs. one lakh.
Presidential awards for classical Tamil are instituted by the Ministry of Human Resource Development to give due recognition and honour to distinguished scholars who have made outstanding contribution to classical Tamil language and literature. (ANI)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"