Jaipur, Jan 26 : Renowned political critic and sociologist Ashis Nandy stirred a major controversy on Saturday when he alleged the people belonging to OBC (Other Backward Class), Scheduled Caste (SC) and ST
(Scheduled Tribe), are more corrupt during a discussion at the Jaipur Literature Festival here.
"It is a fact that most of the corrupt come from the OBC, SC and ST communities and as long as it remains, Indian republic will survive," said Nandy.
"I give you an example, one of the state we can list out of the corruption, it is the West Bengal, when CPM (Communist Party of India- Marxist) was there. I want to propose that in the last hundred years no body from the OBCs, SCs and STs has come into power there, it is an absolutely clean state," he further stated.
Nandy's remarks soon invited strong disagreement from the audiences as well as from the panel.
Anchor and Journalist Ashutosh, who was among the panellists, said: "This is the classical case, that how the elite calls of India perceive the Dalists and backwards classes. This is the most bizarre statement I have heard."
However, Nandy later clarified that what he meant was that most of the people getting caught in corruption charges belongs to marginalized sections, as they don''t have the means to save themselves unlike people from upper castes. (ANI)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"