Guwahati, Dec 10 : Women in the northeast are increasingly becoming self-employed in order to improve their living standards.
These women are among several tribal women who regularly travel from far-off villages to Guwahati with a hope of providing a better life to their families.
Hundreds of tribal women from villages like Sonapur, Boko, and Goreshwar flock to daily and weekly markets in Beltola, Lokhra and Sawkuchi to sell their home grown products.
They sell a variety of things including vegetables, fruits, cocoons, dry fish, silk worm and traditional clothes.
"It has been a year since we have been coming here to earn money, to support the education of our children. If we sell our products in the village, then people complain about the price, so we come here," said Renuka Boro, a vendor.
Trading in these markets gives them a chance to supplement their family income and improve their living standards.
While they face difficulties in settling down in new places, they are motivated by a strong desire to transform their lives.
In spite of financial difficulties they understand the value of education and are determined to educate their children.
" I am trading to earn for my family, I have children and all are studying. One of them will be appearing for the tenth standard exam, and so I need some more money, and we have financial problems. I will be completing two years since I started coming to this weekly market. We still face problems while settling down here, added Iplin Sangma, another vendor.
Through self-employment, these women have not only become financially independent but also provide an example worthy of emulation to others. (ANI)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"