Sydney, Feb 13 : Founder of Wikileaks Julian Assange has become a step closer to contesting a Senate seat in the Australian election, with an application made to put him on Victoria electoral roll.
WikiLeaks Australian Citizens Alliance (WACA) spokeswoman Sam Castro said Assange''s application for electoral enrolment was made to the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) in Melbourne on Tuesday.
The application was lodged on Julian''s behalf with his signature, she added.
According to the Age, Castro also confirmed the address nominated in Assange''s application was his mother''s house in Mentone, in the federal electorate of Isaacs.
She said a newly formed WikiLeaks party, consisting of a 10-member national council, would be convened within a week.
Castro said if Assange was elected and unable to fill his Senate seat, another nominated member would be chosen to fill the vacancy.
WikiLeaks tweeted in January that Assange, who is currently holed up in Ecuador's London embassy, would run for a Senate seat in the federal election. (ANI)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"