United Nations, Feb 7 : UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has welcomed a joint statement issued by peace negotiators of the Myanmar government and the Kachin Independence Organization (KIO), urging them to "continue their efforts towards genuine and sustainable peace in Kachin".
"The secretary-general welcomes the joint statement issued by Myanmar's Peacemaking Committee and the delegation of the Kachin Independence Organization in Ruili, China, wherein they agreed to work on an overall framework for de-escalation of the violent conflict in Kachin and for monitoring such de-escalation," said a statement issued Wednesday by Ban's spokesman.
The representatives of the Myanmar government and KIO resumed peace talks in China's border town of Ruili Monday, 17 days after the government announced unilateral ceasefire with KIA, the army of KIO, Jan 18 to prepare for a political dialogue, saying that the government troops will stop military offensive against the area of Lajayan starting Jan 19, reported Xinhua.
Ever since June 2011, the government forces and the KIA had been continuously fighting until the present resumption of talks. (IANS)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"