New Delhi, Aug 28 : The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Wednesday slammed the government over the rupee's continued depreciation and demanded Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's resignation.
"The government has lost control over the economy completely ... they are helpless. The stock market is in free fall and rupee is in free fall," said BJP leader Yashwant Sinha.
The former finance minister said the only thing that can stabilize the situation is for the government to resign and go for fresh elections.
The rupee slipped to 68.75 against the dollar Wednesday.
"The prime minister is an economist and he has failed to control the Indian economy. He has no right to continue in his post if he is not able to control the economy," said BJP leader Shahnawaz Hussain.
Saying that the government has failed "miserably", BJP leader M. Venkaiah Naidu said: "It is a total mismanagement of economy and prime minister and finance minister must take the responsibility."
Finance Minister P. Chidambaram had Tuesday said the rupee had overshot its true level and that the phenomenon of depreciating currency value is being faced by other emerging economies also.(IANS)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"