New Delhi, Dec 10 : Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) chief Mayawati Monday accused the BJP of stalling the Rajya Sabha because it did not want a bill for reservations in job promotions to be passed.
Mayawati asked why the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) had not raised the issue of foreign direct investment (FDI) in the Lok Sabha.
She was addressing reporters after the Rajya Sabha was adjourned for the day over reports of Wal-Mart's lobbying in the US to open way for foreign equity in retail in India.
The Samajwadi Party (SP) too staged noisy protests against the quota bill.
"Today this bill (for promotion quota) was to come. But it's sad that to stop this bill, the BJP and company raised the issue of FDI lobbying issue," Mayawati said.
The bill, which will amend the constitution to allow reservation in promotion for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribals, was listed in the Rajya Sabha and was to be taken up Monday.
"They allowed the Lok Sabha to function, they did not remember the issue of FDI and lobbying there? It proves the BJP and others of their mentality don't want this legislation to be passed," she said.
Mayawati also accused SP of acting at the BJP's behest.
The BSP chief added that it was the government's responsibility to get the bill through.
"I also want to tell UPA, running the house is their responsibility. So it's now UPA government's responsibility to get this bill debated in the house and get it passed," she said.(IANS)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"