Rio De Janeiro, Jan 12 - A Brazilian judge has granted a court injunction demoting Rio de Janeiro giants Fluminense to the country's second division.
The ruling overturns an earlier sports tribunal decision to dock rivals Portuguesa four points for fielding a suspended player, Xinhua reported Sunday.
The penalty relegated Portuguesa to Brazil's second tier and spared Fluminense the drop for only the second time in their history.
In handing down his decision, judge Marcello do Amaral said Portuguesa had not been properly notified of the ineligibility of midfielder Heverton in the final match of the season on December 8.
"This (issue) does a disservice to Brazilian football," the court said in a statement.
"It generates uncertainty and instability for the organization of competitions, causes serious financial losses to clubs and fans, without mentioning the effect it has on Brazil's credibility on the eve of the World Cup."
The court also returned four points to Flamengo, who had also been docked points for fielding a suspended player.
The Brazilian Football Confederation is expected to appeal against the decision.(IANS)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"