Kolkata, July 4 : Disapproving of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee setting a time frame for the probe into the Kamduni gang-rape and murder case, the Calcutta High Court Thursday said it would monitor the probe into the matter.
The division bench of Chief Justice Arun Mishra and Justice Joymalyo Bagchi directed the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) to submit a report on the course of the inquiry by July 30, when the bench will take up the matter.
The judges were hearing a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) pleading for the constitution of a Special Investigation Team (SIT) into the sexual assault on the college girl in North 24-Parganas district June 7, and the monitoring of the probe by the court.
The court said it would keep an eye on the probe, but observed that if the head of the administration sets a deadline for completion of the inquiry, investigators would be put under pressure.
During a visit to the victim's village, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said that the charge sheet in the case would be submitted in a fortnight, and the culprits would be hanged in a month. (IANS)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"