Shimla, March 23 - The central government is providing financial assistance to Himachal Pradesh for preparing a comprehensive mobility plan for monorail projects in tourists resorts Shimla and Dharamsala, Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath said.
A letter dated Jan 9 was received from Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh for preparation of a detailed project report (DPR) for monorail projects in Shimla and Dharamsala, Nath said in a reply in the Rajya Sabha Thursday.
He said it was conveyed to the state Feb 26 that finalisation of comprehensive mobility plan was a pre-requisite before DPR preparation was taken up.
The Ministry of Urban Development is providing financial assistance to the extent of 80 percent of the total cost of preparation of the comprehensive mobility plan, he added.
State Urban Development Minister Sudhir Sharma told IANS that the monorail projects, the first of its kind in a hilly state, were discussed by the chief minister, who met the union minister in January.
He said the project in Shimla alone would cost around Rs. 5,000 crore.
In Shimla, locals travel mainly by buses of the public transport corporation.
Officials said the monorail service will also connect nearby destinations like Shogi and Sanjauli and offer faster connectivity, besides decongesting roads. (IANS)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"