Srinagar, Feb 11 : Curfew continued for the third consecutive day on Monday in the Kashmir Valley in anticipation of violence following the execution of militant Afzal Guru, who was sentenced to death 10 years ago for an attack on the Indian Parliament in 2001.
The curfew was observed in the state's summer capital Srinagar and in several parts of the Valley where no movement was allowed on the streets as police personnel are patrolling and keeping a strict vigil.
The execution took place on Saturday after the President rejected a mercy petition from Afzal Guru.
Restrictions on movements were imposed in major towns of the Kashmir Valley early on Saturday in anticipation of protests against the hanging.
Hundreds of paramilitary forces and local police were deployed to the region, which is prone to separatist violence.
As the curfew has entered its third day on Monday, locals in Srinagar city are facing problems in communications and procuring necessary items.
"This continued curfew is not right. If someone gets sick then it becomes difficult for them to provide medical attention. If there is any violence and somebody gets injured, then it would not be right. Such types of curfews are not at all good for the people," said Bilal, a local resident as he expressed his wish for the curfew to be lifted.
Five gunmen stormed the heavily guarded parliament complex in New Delhi on December 13, 2001 carrying grenades, guns and explosives, but security forces killed them before they could enter the lawmakers'' chamber.
Ten other people, mostly security officers, were killed in the exchange of fire. (ANI)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"