Nicosia, Dec 15 - A joint Danish and Norwegian task force of chemical specialists is being set up in Cyprus in preparation for the removal of chemical weapons from Syria.
The commander of the task force, Danish navy Commodore Torben Mikkelsen told journalists in the southern Cypriot port of Limassol Saturday that the plan involves two cargo vessels which will take the Syrian chemicals in the port of Latakia, Xinhua reported.
The chemicals will be delivered to the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons at a yet unnamed port for destruction.
The agreement for the destruction of the Syrian chemical arsenal worked out in Geneva between the US and Russia provides for the removal by the end of this year of 500 tonnes of chemicals which can be used to prepare sarin and VX substances.
They will be delivered to an American ship which has been specially equipped to destroy them by hydrolysis, a process which turns the deadly chemicals into low toxicity liquid.
The cargo ships involved in the removal of the chemicals will be protected by two frigates of the Danish and Norwegian navies. (IANS)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"