New Delhi, Dec 5 : Opposing FDI in multi-brand retail, the Biju Janata Dal (BJD) Wednesday said pushing it will trigger social unrest in the country.
Taking part in a debate in the Lok Sabha, BJD's Bhartruhari Mahtab said: "By allowing FDI in retail, we cannot legitimise the death of small retailers, farmers and small scale manufacturers.
"FDI in retail will lead to social unrest. Don't create a situation which has the potential to trigger social unrest," he said.
Mahtab said allowing foreign direct investment in multi-brand retail would also lead to a flood of goods from low-cost countries like China and Bangladesh.
"We opposed FDI in retail in 2004 and we oppose it now," he said.
Trashing the government's claim that allowing FDI in retail will check wastage of food, Mahtab said: "It is unfortunate the government is using lack of facility for storage as a shield to bring in FDI." (IANS)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"