Kolkata, June 22 : Describing the proposed food security bill as "impractical", West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Saturday accused the Congress-led central govrnment of trying to make political gains instead of securing food for the people.
"Though we support food security, the proposed bill is impractical and not a single rupee has been earmarked for it. I ask the Congress to ensure food for the people instead of politicising the issue," Banerjee told a Trinamool Congress rally in Bankura district.
"If they are so concerned (about food security), what were they doing all these years? Their effort to gain political mileage from this will not fructify because they will not return for another term," said the Trinamool Congress chief.
Campaigning for the upcoming panchayat (rural body) polls in the state, Banerjee ridiculed the Congress for naming centrals schemes and roads after their leaders. "Why should every road and scheme be named after Congress leaders? There is no dearth of great names in Bengal," she said.
Alleging a section of bank officials were harassing poor farmers seeking Kisan Credit Cards, Banerjee urged villagers to protest outside banks to force officials to perform their duties.
"Do not take the law in your hands, but if they (officials) harass you or do not do their duties, stage dharnas outside the banks compelling them to act," added Banerjee.(IANS)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"