New Delhi, Jan. 11 : President Pranab Mukherjee today led the nation in paying tribute to late Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri on his 47th death anniversary.
Mukherjee and Vice President Mohammad Hamid Ansari visited Vijay Ghat, and paid floral tributes at his Samadhi in the national capital.
A series of functions are being organized throughout the country today to mark the occasion.
Shastri became the second Prime Minister of India after the death of Jawaharlal Nehru on 27 May 1964. He served the nation as Prime Minister for 19 months and two days i. e. from 9 June 1964 to 11 January 1966, at a very crucial period of independent India.
Shastri successfully led the nation during the 22-day war with Pakistan in 1965. He gave the slogan of Jai Jawan, Jai Kisan, which led to a rare display of unity in the country during India-Pakistan war.
On January 10, 1966 Shastri signed the historic Joint communique with the President Ayub Khan of Pakistan at Tashkent. Within few hours of the signing of the Declaration, the Lal bahadur Shastri died of a heart attack in Tashkent.
While in Nehrus cabinet, Shastri was entrusted with portfolios of the Ministry of Railways, Ministry of Communications and later the Home Ministry.
Shastri was simple and unassuming in his behaviour, kind and gentle in his dealings and his ever-modest qualities endeared him to the masses of India. He was one of those few leaders, who, born in poverty, won recognition by their talent and sacrifice. (ANI)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"