Kolkata, Aug 27 : West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Tuesday said the state's education system needed to be changed with more stress on English, which was banned upto class 5 by the erstwhile Left Front government.
"We need to change the education system. During the previous regime, our students were not allowed to learn English. I feel it is important to learn English as a language," Banerjee said here addressing a student rally.
During the Left Front regime, English, as a subject, was not allowed in government schools upto upper primary level since 1982. However, bowing to criticism, the LF re-introduced English in a phased manner in primary classes.
Banerjee urged students to learn foreign languages and use their knowledge for the development of the society and the country.
"Along with English, you should learn other languages whether Indian or foreign. There is no limit to learning. But you must utilise your knowledge for the welfare of the country," she said.(IANS)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"