Chennai, Jan 17 : Addressing a gathering at a function organised in Kodanadu in Tamil Nadu''s Nilgiri District to mark the 96th birth anniversary of AIADMK founder and former chief minister M. G. Ramchandran on Thursday, Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa vowed to put an end to the "arrogance" of the opposition DMK in the 2014 general elections.
Terming the DMK an evil force, she said: "DMK''s arrogance of being in power at the Centre will be put an end to by AIADMK in the Lok Sabha polls."
"It is a fact that we have put an end to the world''s most corrupt family," Jayalalithaa said, adding that Karunanidhi had betrayed Tamil Nadu''s interests on issues like Cauvery water, the Mullaperiyar dam issue with Kerala and Katchatheevu (islet ceded to Sri Lanka by India in 1974).
She creditted MGR for reducing the DMK to an opposition party, while she took credit for removing that nomenclature from the DMK between 1991 and 2011.
Jayalalithaa also unveiled a bronze statue of MGR and released a special souvenir to mark the occasion.
The Tamil Nadu Chief Minister also urged her partymen to win all the 40 Lok Sabha seats (39 in the state and one in Puducherry) in the next elections.
MGR founded AIADMK in 1972 following his expulsion from the DMK. He died in 1987. (ANI)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"