Lahore, Jan. 31 : Describing former Pakistan chief of army staff Lt. Gen. (retired) Shahid Aziz as an imbalanced personality who has indulged in uncalled for character assassination, former president and army chief General (retired) Pervez Musharraf, justifying the 1999 Kargil War, said there was absolutely no need to inform everyone about the operation.
Rejecting the suggestion that he had willfully put a "tight lid" on details regarding the Kargil War operation when he he was Pakistan's Chief of Army Staff, Musharraf told the Express News show Kal Tak that former prime minister Nwaz Sharif was solely to blame for the defeat, though militarily it was a success in the sense that it completely exposed the Indian security establishment's unpreparedness.
"If he (Sharif) had not visited the U. S., we would have conquered 300 square miles of India," claimed Musharraf.
He described the Kargil operation as a localized one, where the exchange of fire was routine.
"Nawaz lost a political front which we had won militarily," he added.
During the Kargil conflict of 1999, Aziz ran the Inter-Services Intelligence analysis wing.
"The prime consideration of such actions is security and secrecy, so the army leadership decides who is to be informed and when. As the operation progressed and the proper time arrived, a briefing of the corps commanders was also held," Musharraf said.
The former president said that he was astonished by Lt. Gen. (retired) Aziz's claim ten years later.
He said blaming the nation at this juncture of time, as Lt Gen (retd) Shahid has done, seems to be part of a conspiracy. (ANI)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"