List of air crashes in residential areas
New Delhi, May 26 : A single-engine aircraft crashed into a residential area of Faridabad, a suburb of the national capital, Wednesday night, killing at least 10 people, including three on the ground.
Here is a list of instances when an aircraft has crashed into residential areas in India and elsewhere in the world:
1. Nov 12, 2001 - American Airlines Flight 587, an Airbus A300, crashed into a neighbourhood in Queens, a borough of New York, shortly after takeoff from John F. Kennedy International Airport. With 260 fatalities on board and five on the ground, this is the third highest toll for any accident involving an Airbus A300.
2. Oct 4, 1992 - A Boeing 747 cargo plane of the Israeli airline El Al, crashed into an 11-floor apartment block in the Bijlmermeer neighbourhood of Amsterdam, the Netherlands. At least 48 people were killed, including three crew, one passenger and 39 apartment residents.
3. June 2, 2009 - A Hercules C-130 plane of the Indonesian Air Force crashed in Jakarta, killing a total of 98 passengers and 14 crew on board and two people on the ground. It came down on a residential area on the island of East Java.
4. Nov 28, 2010 - At least 12 people were killed when a Russian-made cargo plane crashed seconds after taking off from Karachi. Ilyushin IL-76 operated by Georgian airline Sunway slammed into buildings soon after refuelling and take-off from the airport in Pakistan's business capital.
5. July 17, 2000 - More than 60 people were killed in an Alliance Air Boeing-737 plane crash at Patna airport. Seven passengers had a miraculous escape. The flight started from Kolkata to Delhi via Patna but suddenly lost height and grazed a tree before ploughing into a row of government residential complex and bursting into flames.
6. April 4, 2003 - Five people, including three women and a child on the ground, were killed after a MiG-23 fighter of the Indian Air Force (IAF) crashed in a residential area near Ludhiana in Punjab.
7. Nov 5, 2002 - Five people died after a Jaguar fighter of the IAF crashed into a residential area of Ambala city in Haryana.(IANS)
Kolkata (West Bengal) [India], Feb. 25 : A 15-...Read More
New Delhi [India], Feb. 24 : The Central Board of...Read More
Azamgarh (Uttar Pradesh) [India], Feb. 24 : Taking...Read More
Srinagar (Jammu and Kashmir) [India], Feb. 24 :...Read More
Mumbai (Maharashtra) [India], Feb. 24 : Condemning...Read More