Patna, March 26 : A Bhojpuri folk singer from Bihar was honoured by the Mauritius government on the occasion of 'Bihar Diwas' celebrations in the Indian Ocean island nation, officials said Tuesday.
Nitu Kumari 'Nutan' was conferred the prestigious 'Mauritius Samman' by President Rajkeswur Purryag.
"Nutan impressed Purryag and the people of Mauritius by her emotional performance that touched their hearts. She simply showcased various shades of traditional Holi in rural Bihar, particularly in Mithilanchal, Bhojpur and Magadh,"said an official of the Bihar culture department.
He said Purryag announced the name of Nutan for the award after praising her for presentation of the traditions and culture of Bihari folk songs.
Bihar Diwas was celebrated in the state and in Mauritius by residents of Bihar origin. It marks the day when the British carved out the state from Bengal Presidency March 22, 1912.
A brainchild of Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, Bihar Diwas was first celebrated in 2010.
A large number of people from Bihar migrated to Mauritius, and other countries in the 19th century to serve as indentured labourers on sugarcane and rubber plantations. Many descendants are now eager to locate the families of their forefathers in India.(IANS)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"