Gangtok, Dec 26 : The boxing fever is rising among youth in the Northeastern states of the country. A large number of youth in Sikkim are opting for boxing as a career.
These budding pugilists in East Sikkim want to take up boxing as a full-time career and the man trying to make their dreams come true is 55-year-old Jaslal Pradhan, an Arjuna award winner.
Jaslal, who was born in Khamdong, bagged gold in the 9th Asian Games held at Seoul, South Korea in 1982. He has retired from the Army and is determined to make Sikkim a `boxing powerhouse' of the country.
"Young boys and girls in Sikkim are very talented but they cannot do alone without our support. They need good facilities; sufficient coaches and proper training only then these young children will improve and can play outside. When they play outside they get motivation and they will perform much better and later they can play at national and international level," said Jaspal Pradhan.
Under the guidance of coach Jaslal, the aspiring boxers are training hard. Many among them are girls, who want to emulate M C Mary Kom and become international boxing stars.
"I want to box at Olympics but before that I want represent the country at the commonwealth games and the Asian games. Then, I want to target the Olympics," said Anul Pradhan, a boxer.
"I want to participate more in national games and represent my state and the country in international tournaments," said Madan Rai, another young boxer.
The youth of the northeast are extremely talented and they need to canalize their energies to realize their dreams through games and other constructive arts. (ANI)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"