Kanpur/Lucknow/Ahmedabad/Allahabad/Mumbai, Nov 22 : Muslims across India have welcomed the execution of Ajmal Kasab, the lone survivor of the Pakistan-based militant squad responsible for the terror strike on Mumbai that claimed 166 lives in November 2008.
Gyanesh Mishr, a Kanpur resident, said: "Our Hindu and Muslim brothers are together celebrating the occasion." In Lucknow, Muslim cleric, Khalid Rasheed Firangi Mahli said: "It is good move to execute Kasab who killed many innocents.
And, it will be wrong to say that justice has come late, because legal proceedings take time. But finally, he has been sentenced to death, which is an impressive step.
" In August, the Supreme Court upheld Kasab''s death sentence. His execution at Pune's Yerawada Central Jail on November 21, was the first time a capital sentence had been carried out in India since 2004.
The last person to be executed was Dhananjay Kumar of West Bengal. Samajwadi Party leader Abu Asim Azmi said: "We welcome the decision.
The government has proved that the Rule of Law exists in the country by awarding him (Kasab) the death sentence.
" Meanwhile, celebrations were reported from Allahabad and Ahmedabad. In Ahmedabad, a group of Muslims shouted `Down with Pakistan'.
Kasab was filmed walking through Mumbai''s main train station gunning down nearly 60 people with his AK-47 assault rifle. (ANI)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"