New Delhi, Jan 17 - Congress President Sonia Gandhi Friday said the fabric of Indian society will be torn if the basic needs of the people are not met.
"If the basic needs of large sections of our society are not met in tangible measures, if the growing aspiration of our people are not met in substantial measure, the fabric of our society will be stretched and torn," she said in her address at the All India Congress Committee meeting here.
She spoke of some key policies and programmes.
Gandhi said that despite impressive economic growth, disparity is still largely widespread.
"In spite of impressive economic growth, for which we can justifiably take credit, the fact is that disparities are still painfully widespread. Growth is essential and must be sustained, but rapid growth alone cannot address the problems arising out of continuing disparity," she said.
"Tackling these is not just a matter of social justice, but more importantly an existential necessity," she said. (IANS)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"