Yangon, Feb 7 : The Myanmar government will scrutinize the political prisoners incarcerated in prisons throughout the country in order to grant them liberty soon, a media report said Thursday.
A committee for such a move will be formed with Minister at the President's Office U Soe Thein as chairman involving representatives from government ministries, civil society organizations and some political parties, said the New Light of Myanmar.
The committee will coordinate for a set of framework for the release of the remaining political prisoners, also defined as prisoners of conscience, reported Xinhua.
A government statement said the move aims at ensuring peace and stability and lasting peace of the state, national reconciliation, inclusiveness in political process and turning the prisoners to ones who take their fair shares in state building.
In November last year, 518 prisoners, including 31 foreigners, were released under an amnesty order of the president.
A total of 29,536 prisoners have been pardoned since the new civilian government was installed March 30, 2011. (IANS)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"