Lucknow, Dec 1 : Senior Congress leader and former Chief Minster of Uttar Pradesh, Narayan Dutt Tiwari on Saturday extended his support to Samajwadi Party (SP) president Mulayam Singh Yadav for his candidature as the Prime Minister, saying that the latter should lead the country while his son, Aklhilesh Yadav is leading the state government.
Talking to media while both the SP leaders, Mulayam Singh Yadav and Akhilesh Yadav visited to meet him at his new residence allotted by the state government, Tiwari said that he is hopeful that like its long tradition, the state will again provide leadership to the nation in near future. "I am 88 year old now, I may not do much, though I wish Mulayam Singh to lead the country and Akhilesh to run the state government," said Tiwari.
Asked about whether he will suggest SP to support the UPA government on the issue of foreign direct investment (FDI), Tiwari said: "Different people, parties and state can have deferent opinions. Personally I think FDI is good for the nation, but a lot of people are against it. I don''t want to compel Mulayam Singh for anything, he will only decide what to do." This meeting is being seen as an overture of the SP toward Tiwari, who holds a clout among electorate in Uttrakhand and Uttar Pradesh, ahead of 2014 general elections and it has given rise to speculation that the SP may be seeking the help of the Congress veteran, especially for making forays in the hill areas. Earlier this month, Mulayam Singh Yadav had extended an invitation to Tiwari to stay in Lucknow. (ANI)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"