New Delhi, Nov 19 : The nation on Monday paid tribute to former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on her 95th birth anniversary.
President Pranab Mukherjee, Vice President Mohammad Hamid Ansari and Congress President Sonia Gandhi were among the first to pay floral tribute to the late leader.
A number of functions and welfare programmes are being organised across the country as a mark of respect.
Born in a politically active Nehru family, she was the Prime Minister from 1966 to 1977 and again from 1980 to 1984.
She was elected to Parliament for the first time in 1964 and also served as the country''s Minister of Information and Broadcasting in the government of Lal Bahadur Shastri.
She is noted for declaring a state of emergency after a court struck down her election in 1975, and also for her handling of the "Operation Blue Star" against Sikh militants.
Gandhi was assassinated by two of her Sikh bodyguards at her residence on October 31, 1984. (ANI)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"