New Delhi, Nov 19 : Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) General Secretary Prakash Karat on Monday said a no-confidence motion will only help the government cover up all wrong measures it has taken and claim parliamentary mandate, as it has the numbers to defeat such a motion.
Talking to reporters during at the Indian Women''s Press Corp here Karat said: " There is general consensus among the opposition parties that a no-confidence motion against the UPA will not be useful at this stage as the government has the numbers "We want a debate with voting on the government's move to bring foreign equity in multi-brand retail trade to corner the government," said Karat.
He denied that there is a divide among the Left parties as the Communist Party of India (CPI) has said to support the motion to be moved by Trinamool Congress in upcoming Winter Session of parliament. Stating that a negative vote on the FDI issue will be morally binding on the government, Karat said his party was talking to other opposition parties to politically isolate the UPA on alternative issues, including corruption, high food prices and the proposed food security bill.
Karat criticised Union Commerce Minister Anand Sharma for his statement that parliament had never debated a policy decision. He also expressed hope that the Samajwadi Party (SP) and the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) will support his party move. (ANI)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"