London, Jan 14 : North Korea has promised to strengthen its defences amid concerns the country may conduct a nuclear test as a follow-up to last month''s long-range rocket launch.
Citing US hostility, the country's Foreign Ministry said in a memorandum that North Korea will `continue to strengthen its deterrence against all forms of war'.
The memorandum, which was carried by state run media, did not mention what action the country would take to defend itself.
North Korea has, however, claimed the right to build atomic weapons to protect itself from the United States, which stations more than 28,000 troops in South Korea, the Telegraph reports.
According to the paper, quoting South Korean intelligence sources, local media said Pyongyang warned its main political ally that the underground test would be carried out before January 20.
Since North Korea successfully launched a ballistic missile in December, there has been growing concern that the regime of Kim Jong-un would follow that triumph up with its third nuclear test.
According to some analysts, the intension is to demonstrate that it has the technology both to build a nuclear warhead and the missile system to deliver it to a target. (ANI)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"