Islamabad, Oct 20 : Indo-Pak peace activist Didi Nirmala Deshpande was honored at a special function held to celebrate her 83rd birth anniversary at PILER Centre in Pakistan.
Secretary General of Pakistan Peace Coalition (PPC) BM Kutty, Director General of Pakistan Institute of Labour Education and Research (PILER) Karamat Ali praised Deshpande’s efforts for bringing the people of both India and Pakistan closer for the lasting peace.
Mainly known as “Didi” to those who knew her personally and an active social worker, Deshpande was a veteran Gandhian, and a sincere follower of Vinoba Bhave. She died in India at the age of 79 on 1st of May in 2008, the Daily Times reports.
According to the paper, Deshpande received the Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award and the Padma Vibhushan title in 2006. She was a nominee for the Nobel peace prize in 2005.
The speakers especially mentioned her services for the marginalised minorities in India and her struggles for making peace in the South Asian region to uplift the condition of the downtrodden. (ANI)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"