Beijing, March 26 : Two giant pandas have left China for Canada.
Da Mao, a four-year-old male, and Er Shun, a five-year-old female, will stay in Canada for 10 years under a conservation agreement between the two countries, China Daily reported Tuesday.
"The duo will spend five years at Toronto Zoo followed immediately by another five years at Calgary Zoo," said Zhang Zhihe, chief of the Chengdu panda base.
Zhang said visitors to Toronto Zoo will be able to see the two pandas after a month-long quarantine.
Currently, fewer than 2,000 pandas remain in the wild.
The Chinese tradition of sending the animals overseas dates to when the Empress Wu Zetian gave pandas to the Japanese emperor in 658.(IANS)
- Rohit Verma during his fashion show
- Rohit Verma with Swati Loomba during Fashion designer Rohit Verma's fashion show
- Rohhit Verma with Shilpa Marigold during Fashion designer Rohit Verma's fashion show
- Rohhit Verma with Shiba during Fashion designer Rohit Verma's fashion show
- Rahul Roy, Shilpa Marigold with Rohhit Verma during Fashion designer Rohit Verma's fashion show