Lima, Aug 4 : Hundreds of Peruvian sex workers have asked the government to act against brothels having foreign prostitutes.
Some 300 sex workers from El Trocadero, a well-known brothel in the Peruvian port of Callao, demonstrated against foreigners entering the business.
Prostitution is legal in Peru for adult women, but they must register with municipal governments and carry health certificates, while brothels require licenses.
Bella, a representative of the protesters, told RPP radio that they have filed a complaint with immigration authorities against a nearby brothel because "they have foreigners there without their papers in order and with no license to work here".
Chanal 4 television aired shots showing how a picket of prostitutes kicked their way into their colleagues' rooms to make them join the protest in Callao, which sits next to the Peruvian capital.
"An hour costs 120 sols ($42), but for them (the foreign prostitutes) no; since they're desperate to make some money, they only charge 80 sols ($28) per hour," Bella said.
"There are foreign women coming here as tourists and then they decide to work and just ruin the place," another protester said. (IANS/EFE)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"