New Delhi, Nov 16 : Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh called up Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi last night to discuss law and order after toll in the recent violence in the state reached six.
One more person was killed in violence hit Bodoland Territorial Administered Districts (BTAD) as the death toll reached six since November 10.
Dr. Singh, who is a Rajya Saba MP from the state, condemned the violence in Kokrajhar and Gossaigaon towns in Assam.
Gogoi gave Dr. Singh a detailed account of the situation and steps taken to control the violence.
He said that the state government is taking all necessary steps to ensure peace and stability in the state.
The Prime Minister also talked to the Union Home Minister and asked him to extend all possible assistance to the Assam Government in tackling the situation.
Nearly after three months since deadly riots between Bodo tribes'' people and Muslim villagers erupted in Kokrajhar and its surrounding districts, curfews have become the norm, and fear now stalks this lush, riverine region that borders Bangladesh.
More than 85 people have died - shot or hacked to death with machetes. Hundreds of thousands of people from both communities have left their homes, seeking refuge in schools that have been converted into camps for the displaced.
Hundreds of villages have been burnt to the ground and possessions looted as the rioters have gone on the rampage. Their rage has also hit urban areas like Kokrajhar town, where the charred shells of homes remain.
The government says many of the 400,000 displaced have been able to return to their homes, but there are still over 275,000 people - mostly Muslims -- who continue to live in the camps, which are overcrowded and squalid. (ANI)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"