Jammu, Dec 26 : Jammu and Kashmir Police on Wednesday baton charged teachers, who were protesting for regularisation of their jobs, outside the state secretariat.
Hundreds of teachers who are working on contractual basis were seen jostling with policemen when they tried to march towards the secretariat pressing for their demands.
The protesters demanded a raise in salary from 1500 rupees to 3000 rupees as was promised by the government earlier.
Vinod Sharma, a protester, said that those teachers who have completed their five years contract should be regularised.
"Our demand is that all those who have completed seven years, should have their jobs regularised and our salaries should be raised according to the announcement. And those who have completed five years, they should considered for seniority benefits," said Sharma.
Protesters added if their demands were not met, they would launch massive agitation. However, the police were able to disperse the teachers
In 2010, the state government appointed hundreds of youths on contractual basis under a specific scheme and from the date of appointment these youths is getting 2500 rupees per month, which is not sufficient for them. (ANI)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"