New Delhi, Dec 5 : The Rajya Sabha was adjourned for the day on Wednesday over a disagreement over a bill for providing reservations to Scheduled Castes (SC) and the Schedule Tribes (ST) in promotions in government jobs.
As the House met after the first adjournment, Samajwadi Party members trooped into the well opposing reservation in promotion for SCs and STs.
Amidst noisy scenes, Leader of Opposition Arun Jaitley wanted to know whether the government and its supporting parties have decided not to allow the functioning of the House.
In the din, Deputy chairman P J Kurien adjourned the House for the day.
Earlier, the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) stalled Question Hour in the Upper House demanding the construction of a memorial for Bhimrao Ambedkar in Mumbai.
As soon as the House met for the day, BSP chief Mayawati asked the government to explain by when it would complete construction of the memorial.
Chairman Hamid Ansari said a statement by the Government is listed in the agenda and the announcement would be made at noon.
Mayawati, however, demanded that the Question Hour be suspended and the statement be made forthwith.
Ansari, however, said there was no notice for suspension of Question Hour. He then adjourned the House till noon. (ANI)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"