New Delhi, Dec 29 - President Pranab Mukherjee Saturday condoled the death in Singapore of the young woman who was gang-raped here and called her a "true hero". He asked the government to "ensure that such an incident never happens again."
"I am deeply distressed by the unfortunate demise of the 23-year-old girl who passed away early this morning in Singapore," Mukherjee said.
The president said: "She was a brave and courageous girl who fought till the very last minute for her dignity and her life. She is a true hero and symbolises the best in Indian youth and women."
"I convey my condolences to her parents and family who have faced this adversity with fortitude and grace. I pray that they have the strength to bear this loss. The nation will mourn the passing of this brave daughter of India," he added.
Stressing that her passing away should not be in vain, the president said the government would "do everything possible to ensure that such an incident never happens again".
He requested "everyone to maintain peace and calm".
He called upon the "authorities to take all necessary steps to bring the perpetrators of this ghastly crime to justice". (IANS)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"