Moscow, Nov 20 - Russia's military police force is already functional and formation of the new service will be completed in 2014, an official said.
Deputy chief of the military police Maj. Gen. Andrei Nechayev's remarks came in response to media reports that the Russian Armed Forces so far have no military police and that formation cannot begin until 2013 due to "legal inconsistencies".
"The military police have already been created and are functional within the scope of tasks as defined by our leaders," Nechayev said.
The defence ministry has until the end of 2014 to complete formation of the new service, he added.
Former defence minister Anatoly Serdyukov announced the creation of the military police in July 2011. The service's main function will be to fight rampant hazing and theft of military property.
Russia's Chief Military Prosecutor Sergei Fridinsky said in April that the agency will also be granted investigative functions. (IANS)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"