Seoul, Feb 13 : South Korea''s military is deploying cruise missiles capable of striking the Democratic People''s Republic of Korea (DPRK) and accelerating the development of ballistic missiles, officials said Wednesday.
"We have deployed a cruise missile that can strike any and all parts of North Korea (DPRK)," Seoul''s defense ministry spokesman Kim Min-seok told reporters at a press briefing.
"And we will also speed up the development of ballistic missiles with a range of 800 kilometers, based on the revised missile pact (with the United States)," Kim said, adding the country will also build a missile defense system called the Korean Air and Missile Defense.
Under a deal revised last year with the United States, South Korea is allowed to develop ballistic missiles with a range of up to 800 kilometers, more than double the previous limit.
The announcement came a day after the DPRK conducted its third nuclear test in defiance of UN resolutions. The underground test, which Pyongyang said used a miniaturized and lightweight atomic bomb, drew global reations.
The South Korean military is monitoring potential signs of additional nuclear or missile tests by the DPRK, which has threatened "second and third measures of greater intensity," if Washington takes further action. (ANI)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"