London, Dec. 11 : Rebel groups across Syria have defied the United States after pledging their allegiance to a group that Washington is set to designate a terrorist organization for its alleged links to al-Qaeda.
A total of 29 opposition groups, including fighting `brigades' and civilian committees, have signed a petition calling for mass demonstrations in support of Jabhat al-Nusra, an Islamist group which the White House believes is an offshoot of al-Qaeda in Iraq.
The petition is promoting the slogan `No to American intervention, for we are all Jabhat al-Nusra' and urged supporters to `raise the Jabhat al-Nusra flag' as a `thank you', the Telegraph reports.
"These are the men for the people of Syria, these are the heroes who belong to us in religion, in blood and in revolution," a statement widely circulated on Syrian opposition Facebook pages read.
According to the report, Jabhat al-Nusra made its mark early this year with a string of suicide bombings, a tactic it continues to use.
Aided by fighters from abroad and Syrians who have returned from other wars in the Middle East, it has also led battles for a number of military bases and has secured a string of recent victories, the report added.
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"