Dhaka, June 27 : A teacher of a leading Bangladeshi university was sentenced in absentia to seven years in prison Thursday for issuing threat via social media to kill Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
A general diary was filed April 23, 2012 against the Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) teacher Hafizur Rahman Rana for threatening to kill Hasina, Xinhua reported.
The complaint mentioned that Rana had likened the prime minister to "a hyena who feasted on the country and was now eyeing the BUET".
"I would shoot her first in the head and then in the stomach before displaying her head in front of BUET as a warning to ward off other hyenas," he had said.
A sedition case was filed against the teacher. The court in September last year framed charges against him.
The court also told the university to take action against him. (IANS)
- Rohit Verma during his fashion show
- Rohit Verma with Swati Loomba during Fashion designer Rohit Verma's fashion show
- Rohhit Verma with Shilpa Marigold during Fashion designer Rohit Verma's fashion show
- Rohhit Verma with Shiba during Fashion designer Rohit Verma's fashion show
- Rahul Roy, Shilpa Marigold with Rohhit Verma during Fashion designer Rohit Verma's fashion show