Srinagar, Feb 7 - Three people accused of posting threats on social networking sites against the Kashmir girl rock band Pragaash have been arrested, an official said Thursday. Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said more arrests were possible.
The arrests took place late Wednesday after special investigating team (SIT) headed by a deputy superintendent probed the threats against the three-member all girl band, police said.
"One was arrested from Baba Wayil village of Ganderbal district, the other from Srinagar city and the third from south Kashmir's Anantang district," a police official told IANS.
The chief minister expressed satisfaction over the arrests and said more were possible.
"I am glad police in Kashmir has identified and arrested two people for the online threats made to the girls. I'm told more arrests possible," Abdullah tweeted Thursday.
Noma Nazir, 15, Aneeqa Khalid, 16, and Farah Deeba, 15, had formed the Kashmir Valley's first all girl rock band Pragaash last year.
In December 2012, the band participated in the 'Battle of Bands' competition in Srinagar, where they finished third.
Following posting of abusive threats against them and a fatwa by Kashmir's Grand Mufti, Bashiruddin, the girls decided to wind up the band.
Aneeqa Khalid had said at a press conference Monday that they had decided to disband Pragaash in deference to the Grand Mufti's statement.
She said they were not feeling threatened, but were sad they could no longer pursue their passion.
One member of the band has reportedly left the valley as she was depressed after the raging controversy that hit national headlines. (IANS)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"