Lhasa, July 12 : An observatory under construction in Tibet is expected to become the best astronomical observatory in Asia, International Astronomical Union (IAU) President Norio Kaifu said.
The observatory, based in Ngari prefecture, is located in an ideal place for astronomical monitoring due to its high altitude, transparent atmosphere and mild weather, Xinhua quoted Kaifu as saying.
The Ngari observatory, perched at an altitude of 5,100 meters above sea level, can compete with Hawaii's Mauna Kea Observatories, the world's largest observatory for optical, infrared and submillimeter astronomy, he said.
The Ngari observatory, the first observatory built above 5,000 meters in the northern hemisphere, will also help to promote cooperation among Asian astronomers, he said.
The observatory, built with a total investment of $4.87 million, is expected to be completed within 10 years.(IANS)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"