New Delhi, Aug 19 : Expressing shock and deep sorrow at the loss of lives of pilgrims who were run over by a speeding train in Bihar's Khagaria district, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Monday appealed for "calm" so that relief and rescue operations could be carried out.
"The prime minister has expressed deep sorrow and shock at the loss of lives of pilgrims caused by the accident at Katyani Sthan, in Khagaria District, Bihar," a statement issued here said.
"He (prime minister) has also appealed for calm in the area so that the relief and rescue operations can be carried out without any hindrance," the statement said.
At least 35 pilgrims were killed and over a dozen injured Monday when they were run over by a speeding train. Angry locals and pilgrims set ablaze six bogies of the train, brutally assaulted its driver and took several railway officials hostage.
The prime minister has also directed the railways to deploy all available resources in the area for rescue and relief operations.
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"