London, December 29 : Consumers are ignoring the smart features of their TVs and simply want access to online video services, researchers say.
Although manufacturers have given their latest sets the ability to tweet, view websites and even download apps, research firm NPD says all consumers really watch to do on their TV is watch TV.
One of Samsung's flagship smart TVs offers apps and access to twitter and Facebook, but research now claims most consumers simply use it to watch TV, the Daily Mail reported.
The research is a major blow for TV manufacturers who have invested millions in creating internet connected sets that can run apps.
Many are set to reveal new models within days at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, where gadget makers traditionally unveil their products for the coming year.
It also comes amid countless rumours and hints that Apple is developing its own TV, with CEO Tim Cook recently saying that the area was one the firm has an intense interest in.
Google's TV has failed to capture the public's attention, despite support from manufacturers such as Sony, and the biggest problem, according to NPD, is confusion among TV owners.
According to Luke Peters, Editor of T3 magazine, smart TVs are simply too complicated. (ANI)
- Tiger Shroff visit Babulnath temple for the success of film Heropanti
- Sunaina Roshan during launch of her book "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, Pinky Roshan, Sunaina Roshan, Hrithik Roshan and Ajay Mago during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan, his daughter Sunaina Roshan and actor Hrithik Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"
- Rakesh Roshan and his daughter Sunaina Roshan during launch of "To Dad, With Love"