London, May 17 : The Cannes Film Festival is all set to show five Bollywood films, including three from Indian filmmaker Anurag Kashyap.
Kashyap's `Peddler's will be shown at the Critics' Week and would be competing for the prestigious Camera d'Or while his two-part `Gangs of Wasseypur' will be shown at the Director's Fortnight, the BBC reported.
Other films to be showcased at the festival are Ashim Ahluwalia's `Miss Lovely' and the 1948 classic `Kalpana' by renowned dancer Uday Shankar.
Many Bollywood stars will also be attending Cannes, which would begin on Wednesday.
The two `Gangs of Wasseypur' films are over five hours' long and tell the story of three generations of a family in the coal mining region of Dhanbad in the eastern state of Jharkhand.
This commercial Hindi film is a "gangster drama" which deals with corruption and coal mafia but does not have the usual song-and-dance routine, which the Bollywood is famous for.
`Peddlers', produced by Kashyap, is Vasan Bala's directorial debut. Bala had earlier assisted Kashyap on his hit movie `Dev D'.
`Miss Lovely', which is about people making a living from Mumbai's struggling soft-porn film industry, will be screened as part of the Un Certain Regard section of the festival.
Various Bollywood stars, including Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, who has made 10 appearances over the past years, are expected to walk the red carpet at Cannes this year. (ANI)
Random Acidfree items
- Federer moves to second spot in ATP world rankings post Shanghai Masters win
- Ronaldo scores hattrick as Real thrash Deportivo La Coruna 8-2 in La Liga clash
- Gerrard's late penalty helps Liverpool pip Ludogorets Razgrad in CL fixture
- Leander Paes drops out of top 10 in latest rankings
- Murray disappointed with inconsistency post losing to Federer in Cincinnati quarterfinals