Washington, Mar 2 : Avril Lavigne was a star ice hockey player for a boys' team and was even voted the `most valuable player' for two seasons.
The 27-year-old singer believes her sporting background helped her career because it taught her to be "tough" and compete with the opposite sex.
"I didn't just play, I was MVP (most valuable player) two years in a row. The boys didn't go easy on me either. I had to play like one of the boys to survive and it was good for me," Contactmusic quoted her as telling FHM.
Lavinge was also a champion in athletics sports during her school days.
"I've always been very athletic. Nowadays, I love to skateboard, rollerblade, play hockey, work out and do yoga," she said.
"But when I was growing up in Canada I used to play softball in the summer, ice hockey in the winter and do track and field. My brother and I were the best in our school at track and field," she added. (ANI)
Celebrity Birthday Wishes
Random Acidfree items
- Serena continues to dominate WTA rankings with 5865-point lead
- India retain second place in ICC ratings despite series loss
- Li Na beats Cibulkova for maiden Australian Open title
- Federer highest-paid athlete in tennis with 71.5 mln dollars earnings in 2013
- Somdev advances to 2nd round of Australian Open qualifiers