Washington, Mar 2 : Avril Lavigne was a star ice hockey player for a boys' team and was even voted the `most valuable player' for two seasons.
The 27-year-old singer believes her sporting background helped her career because it taught her to be "tough" and compete with the opposite sex.
"I didn't just play, I was MVP (most valuable player) two years in a row. The boys didn't go easy on me either. I had to play like one of the boys to survive and it was good for me," Contactmusic quoted her as telling FHM.
Lavinge was also a champion in athletics sports during her school days.
"I've always been very athletic. Nowadays, I love to skateboard, rollerblade, play hockey, work out and do yoga," she said.
"But when I was growing up in Canada I used to play softball in the summer, ice hockey in the winter and do track and field. My brother and I were the best in our school at track and field," she added. (ANI)
Celebrity Birthday Wishes
Random Acidfree items
- Federer beats Raonic in Brisbane International final to secure 1,000th career win
- MS Dhoni calls curtains on Test career to focus on ODIs
- India trail Oz by 422 runs at end of day two as Smith's 192 guides hosts to gigantic 530
- Ronaldo voted world's No. 1 footballer by elite panel of 73 judges
- Emotional Warner dedicates 'greatest ever innings' to Hughes