London, Mar 29: Princess Diana's wedding dress has topped all those worn by other royal and celebrity brides in a new poll.
The puff ball silk taffeta wedding dress, designed for Diana by David and Elizabeth Emanuel, eclipsed even the Queen's wedding dress in a survey of 5,000 women.
It attracted 31 per cent of the votes, compared with 19 per cent for Norman Hartnell's magnificent creation for the then Princess Elizabeth in 1947.
The gowns of Princess Margaret, Princess Anne, the Duchess of York, Sophie Wessex and Princess Grace of Monaco were left trailing behind.
Victoria Beckham, Catherine Zeta Jones, and Jackie Onassis made up the rest of the top 10 wedding dresses of all time.
Diana's ability to use her clothes to project so much more about her life appears to be the key to her status as the ultimate stye icon.
"Women just loved Princess Diana. For women over 50, with a wealth of life experience behind them, a style icon has to have an emotional connection with them, not just be a clothes horse or a pretty face," the Daily Express quoted Valery McConnell, editor of Yours magazine, which commissioned the survey among its mainly over 50s readers, as saying.
"From shy and demure to international sex symbol, Diana's fashion sense always reflected how she felt about her life at that moment," McConnell added. (ANI)
Celebrity Birthday Wishes
Random Acidfree items
- Federer beats Raonic in Brisbane International final to secure 1,000th career win
- MS Dhoni calls curtains on Test career to focus on ODIs
- India trail Oz by 422 runs at end of day two as Smith's 192 guides hosts to gigantic 530
- Ronaldo voted world's No. 1 footballer by elite panel of 73 judges
- Emotional Warner dedicates 'greatest ever innings' to Hughes