London, Mar 29: Princess Diana's wedding dress has topped all those worn by other royal and celebrity brides in a new poll.
The puff ball silk taffeta wedding dress, designed for Diana by David and Elizabeth Emanuel, eclipsed even the Queen's wedding dress in a survey of 5,000 women.
It attracted 31 per cent of the votes, compared with 19 per cent for Norman Hartnell's magnificent creation for the then Princess Elizabeth in 1947.
The gowns of Princess Margaret, Princess Anne, the Duchess of York, Sophie Wessex and Princess Grace of Monaco were left trailing behind.
Victoria Beckham, Catherine Zeta Jones, and Jackie Onassis made up the rest of the top 10 wedding dresses of all time.
Diana's ability to use her clothes to project so much more about her life appears to be the key to her status as the ultimate stye icon.
"Women just loved Princess Diana. For women over 50, with a wealth of life experience behind them, a style icon has to have an emotional connection with them, not just be a clothes horse or a pretty face," the Daily Express quoted Valery McConnell, editor of Yours magazine, which commissioned the survey among its mainly over 50s readers, as saying.
"From shy and demure to international sex symbol, Diana's fashion sense always reflected how she felt about her life at that moment," McConnell added. (ANI)
Random Acidfree items
- Federer moves to second spot in ATP world rankings post Shanghai Masters win
- Ronaldo scores hattrick as Real thrash Deportivo La Coruna 8-2 in La Liga clash
- Gerrard's late penalty helps Liverpool pip Ludogorets Razgrad in CL fixture
- Leander Paes drops out of top 10 in latest rankings
- Murray disappointed with inconsistency post losing to Federer in Cincinnati quarterfinals