Athens, Nov 25 : German coach Otto Rehhagel is enjoying proving his sceptics wrong after Greece's national team scored their 1-0 win in Ukraine Nov 18, sending them through to next year's World Cup finals.
Some observers had begun to question the 71-year-old's ability to stir the 2004 European Champions to the World Cup after failing to do so for the 2006 World Cup Germany.
It is only the second time-ever that Greece have qualified for a World Cup finals, coming 16 years after their first appearance in the United States in 1994 - when they lost all three group matches without scoring and conceding 10 goals.
Donetsk, Ukraine - When Otto Rehhagel won the European Championship with Greece in 2004 his success was hailed a miracle.
If the German coach wants to take the Greek side to next year's World Cup finals in South Africa he will need a minor rerun of the miracle that took the team to victory in Portugal five years ago.
After Saturday's first leg play-off for a place at the World Cup finals against the Ukraine, the advantage is firmly on the Ukrainian side.
The goalless draw in Athens is not a result that will instil Greek fans with a lot of confidence ahead of Wednesday's return leg in Donetsk.
- BlackBerry to launch new smartphone with Siri like feature
- Apple to pay 450 million dollars in U.S. e-book lawsuit
- Google's customizable smartphone set to reach developers by month end
- Google Plus to no longer ask for 'real' names following privacy concerns
- Superman tops list of 10 most toxic superhero links on internet